When we learned phone books were still being delivered, it made us wonder ... how can we make these phone books just as valuable today as they were in the past? Brainstorming began and ideas starting flowing. We had a fun time joking about all the different ways one can still use a phone book.
Before we begin to share the many creative uses for phone books, we’d like to point out that this isn’t our typical marketing related blog post. That’s because we’re taking Throwback Thursday quite seriously, by featuring one of the first marketing tools around: the phone book!
The idea of using a phone book is quite silly to us now, especially since we work in the digital age. But there were many companies that used phone books for advertising. In fact, today some companies still find great value in using phonebooks as an advertising tool.
For those that don’t use phone books regularly, here are 20 other creative uses:
- Sit on it for extra height. Ever feel short at the dinner table? Use the phone book as a booster seat.
- Protect your bathroom vanity from heating products. Do you like to curl or straighten your hair? Avoid placing the heated styling tool directly on the vanity by placing it on the phone book instead.
- Use it as wrapping paper. Birthday coming up? There’s no need for you to BUY wrapping paper. The phone book will do.
- Keep bugs away. Don’t have a fly swatter or bug repellent? Throw your phone book on it. That does the trick.
- Soak up messes. Did you spill something? Clean that right up with a page from the phone book.
- Make a Halloween costume. Still looking for that perfect costume? Don’t fret. The phone book makes for a creative costume with two simple steps. Stick the pages to your body and carry a phone book in your hand.
- Build muscle. Who needs weights when a phone book is just as heavy?!
- Prep in the Kitchen. Need a cutting board? The phone book is sturdy for it.
- Use it as an extra step. Need to reach something that is above your height? Use the phone book as a stepping stool.
- Get cozy with it. Making campfires just got easier. Use the paper to get the fire started.
- Leave one in the car. Going on a road trip? If you end up in a sticky situation (getting lost/flat tire) you’ll need some important contact information!
- Build a fort. Who needs cardboard when you have phone books? Try building a fort that won’t fall apart. We dare you.
- Press flowers or leaves. Don’t use just any book, use a phone book to make those pretty pressed flowers or leaves.
- Get those windows shiny. The paper in the phone book, like newspapers, can be used to clean windows.
- Make some art. Whether you like scrapbooking or décollage, feel free to use the pages to make something fancy!
- Wrap and pack. Moving anytime soon? Use the paper to wrap up fragile items.
- Stop leaks. Has the rain caused a few leaks? Soak up the water up with the phone book.
- Increase your steps. Do you have multiple phone books lying around? Place them one on top of another, and you’ve got your own stair master.
- Impress with origami. There’s no need to use expensive paper, the phone book pages will do.
- Use it for emergencies. Ever run out of toilet paper? That’s all that’s left to say.
Let's hear from you. Leave your comment below and let us know what you usually do with your phone book. Can't think of anything? Choose which of our creative ideas you like best.